Saturday, December 01, 2007

a political junkie is born

the catalyst was when i went to fill a prescription for my albuterol inhaler, and was quoted $20. "$20!" I exclaimed... "for my last prescription it was $7!!!" the pharmacist explained that there was a mandate that outlawed the CFCs (chloro fluro carbons) that my generic inhaler released into the ozone layer because it was an aerosol, so now I have to buy the brand name at over double the cost... I'm pretty ok financially, all things considered, so even though I was VERY disturbed by this strange turn of events which I NEVER SAW COMING, I was ok to swallow the $13. It wasn't until i got home and realized that i had to take this inhaler 3x more times than my previous that i became PISSED. I'm not supposed to be taking a "rescue inhaler" more than 3x per week... this one, on a bad day, I had to take at least 5 puffs at one time just to calm any symptoms.
can anyone tell me this...
WHY IN THIS WORLD would a product be eliminated from the market that was used for the medical benefit of thousands, and replaced with a substandard product which costs the consumer over double the money for less than a canister on the order of less than 10 grams, while my hair spray is in an aerosol bottle at home with over 30x the capacity.
look, if I had to choose on a day when my hair was dull and I was having an athsma attack SIMULTANEOUSLY which of these should be more tightly regulated... which do you think I would choose?

No comments: